Saturday, August 1, 2009

MHI books rescued, rifle added to future collection.

Having just returned from yet another trip to the land of Mordor, or Chicagoland for work, relatively flush with cash, I ran around paying bills and the like, and when I was done, realized there were money laying around for fun.

So I went to Scheeles to see what they had for rifles. I wanted something on the cheap, that shot something relatively cheap, but with a large enough caliber it could double as a PDW. I was leaning towards an 1894 pattern lever gun not unlike the puma I had used out at B's a few weeks before, chambered for 357 magnum

As it happened, I could get a real 1894 Winchester, built in 1911 for a measly 1100 quid. Nice price, for the gun. Out of my range, I was topping out at about 700, for insta purchase.

So, I passed, the only other leverguns they had were 30-30s or 45LC. Probably just as fun to shoot, but not particularly cheap. Poked around their ammunition selection and couldn't find a single round of .45 ACP. Rather annoying. So I left, nd headed to retailer 2, Gander Mountain. Not my favorite stop, but it was next on the list. Struck out there, and wandered over to what used to be Sportsman's Warehouse. Struck out a third time, all around.

Now I was getting annoyed, so I stopped by B&N and picked up a proper copy of MHI. I'll have to write a little book reviewlet later, as I've already read it by web-subscription and love it - but it was good to get my hands on a copy. Which was more work then I realized, because I couldn't find it on the shelves anywhere. When I asked a sales associate, they couldn't find it either, and finally went in the back and found it still boxed up.

Hard to sell, if its not on the floor. Hopefully Larry gets a few more sales from Fargo now. While its not the most amazingest book I've ever read, if you're even vaguely interested in firearms, like good action sequences, and enjoy Monsters who are not just 'troubled' but truely evil and horrificthings... you *WILL* enjoy this book. It just satisfies something in the soul.

After my book buying I grabbed lunch with B and then wandered over to the final gunstore on my list. I'd never actually been to the outdoorsman.... and I think I've found my gun shop in town. They're small, they're selection isn't the best - but the service is good... and they're layaway plan was nice and simple.

I went in looking to spend 5 to 7 bills and ended up putting one of my 'I will own one, someday' firearms on layway. There's a nice 16 inch Colt M4 pattern, LEO marked AR-15 with my name on it, 1/3rd of the way paid off. As a bonus, since I'm a lefty, the owner is throwing in an ambi-saftey swap, for free. Which is good because I'm willing to deal with a backwards mag release - which is easy enough to hit with my off hand, but having to shift my grip on the rifle to activate the safety is not on my list of things I'm interested in :). And, as it happens, he also had some .45 ACP laying around. Price was a little high, but I bought fifty rounds anyway.

All in all, not a bad day.

1 comment:

Sean said...

Good hunting sir! Fortunately I already have my EBR in this market, glad to see you got a nice deal on yours.

Make sure to download a copy of the armorer's manual for the 16-series - not only for higher-level maintenance stuff, but it will give you a better understanding of how everything works (rather simple in the platform actually)

Hope it gets to come home soon.