Monday, May 31, 2010

On Extractors and Roll pins

So, I should probably be in bed, but I'm rather wired right now - and I've got a topic, so you all get a blog post.

A while back I posted about my rifle, and mentioned I'd be posting a blurb about a new cleaning kit. I got rather side tracked but was working on it this evening. While in the process of cleaning my XD and taking pictures of the cleaning kit (which I will get put up here eventually) I had noted that the loaded chamber indicator is no longer resetting to flush properly. Figuring I'd remove it and clean it up, I decided to take out the striker assembly , and the block and extractor to boot - just because after a thousand rounds or so the whole are was rather heavily carbon scored. And - what the heck, it'd be good practice.

More over, I'd noted that the rollpin holding the striker in place had tended to ride up since I'd put it back in, and that bugged me a bit. After over two hundred rounds since I cleaned the striker channel I didn't think it was going to come flying out - but it was a bit annoying.

Well, turns out I don't have anything small enough to stand in for the punch necessary to remove the loaded chamber indicator. And when I finally managed to work the striker pin, I found out why it kept riding up - it had cracked and bent. Now I dont know if that happened when I put it back in, or because I tend to do dry fire training without snap caps (which forums I've read this evening have noted it will break the roll pin. Note to self I need to get some snap caps) Either way, it had happened, so I went online to http://www.springerprecision.com/ after finding there were a fairly well known after market site for XDs and bought some roll pins (.25 cents a pop, figured I might as well get a few extras) and their punch set for the XD. No more fillins for me.

However, after removing the retaining pin and striker block, I've still been unable to get the extractor to come free. Based on what I've seen in forums there are about four options. One, Beat on the slide til it works its way loose - which, I ain't doing. Scarred up my slide via use quite enough already - and that sounds about as caveman as possible.

Two, use a dental pick to worry it loose, then beat on it til it pops free. Tried using a near dental pick in my new cleaning kit - couldn't get the sucker to budge.

Three, Send it to SA - Since it ain't broke, no real reason to do that (Well the pistol is non-functional til I get a new roll pin... but thats no one's fault)

Four - Fabricate an extractor removal tool. Based on the pictures I've seen, and the forums I've read, I think a couple hours and some quality time with my dremel knockoff and I should beable to get this done tomorrow. Well today now I guess. Can't make the pistol go bang til I get the new roll pins anyway - so I'll have some time to figure it all out.

Over all, while I can't say I enjoy the fact that I currently have a pistol that doesn't go bang - I am enjoying the learning. I wonder if any schools around here offer gunsmithing courses....

~Jon

No comments: