Friday, June 4, 2010

Monster Hunter Vendetta....

...is an extremely good book.

I picked up the e-ARC a couple days back and while I'm not a huge fan of electronic copys and will undoubtably buy a dead tree copy when they come out in September - but for now I'm quite content with the fact that I got to read the book *now*.

I have patience issues, what can I say.

MHV is definately a step up from MHI - which I really enjoyed but occasionally felt disjointed and certainly was a first published book - which are very seldom an authors best work Vendetta is better plotted, Correia trys (and succeeds though perhaps a little too obviously) at implimenting some foreshadowing - some of which will not be seen until the next Monster Hunter book with everyone's favorite Combat Accountant if not perhaps longer then that - but its clear that while MHI felt almost like a oneshot that had enough popularity to become a franchise MHV is crafting a much longer term story arc.

There's still plenty of action, and in true Correia style it starts at page one, and keeps you running full tilt right up to the end. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed MHI, and anyone who enjoys monster fiction in general.

Besides - its a book with guns, babes, necromancers, Elephant and Bear zombies, and evil giant crustatian overlords from another dimension. Whats not to like?

-Jon

No comments: